BY JEYANTHY PILLAI
KLANG, MALAYSIA – Each year in Vraj, in the midst of the rainy season, when fields and jungle have turned shades of lush green and flowers are blossoming all around, Temples of Vrindavan, swings are placed in the shrines of the Temples for the Deities to swing upon. This is called Jhulan Yatra.
Songs describing the swinging lilas of Radha Krishna are sung and devotees imagine they are actually there swinging their Divine Beloved on the jhulan (swing). Here at Iskcon Klang, we carry on the same tradition by decorating a swing with flowers and greenery for the Deities to swing upon. Everyone is invited to take a turn swinging the swing as we sing songs glorifying the Lord and His incredibly sweet and loving pastimes. This time we had decorated the swing area with the dozens of vines adorning the sides of the lace fences, complete with its fruits, beautiful flowers and abundant foliage. The vines and flowers provided a handsome bark on artistically twisting branches in superb brilliant colors.
Sri Sri Radha Govinda were more gorgeous and sweeter than what my mind was capable of conjuring. Srimati had berries on Her head whilst Sri Krishna had exquisite pink patterns on His arm with beautiful Champa flower garlands around Their necks smelling ever so fragantly. And those lovely long locks of Sri Krishna swaying on the swing simply takes your mind away. Their Lordships exquisite beauty is indeed spell binding and I could not get enough of Their transcendental beauty. The divine couple, Sri Sri Radha and Krishna, is my life and soul. In life or death I have no other refuge but Them.
A pleasant addition to the altar was Sri Gopalji, looking very opulent and majestic in black marble next to the huge salagrama sila. It was like Vrindavan which had come to live here. I just wish you had been here to take in all that sweetness.
We managed to get some shots which are a real feast to one’s eyes. Enjoy!
We sang this lovely song for these gorgeous deities. It’s a very beautiful Bengali bhajan by Narottama Dasa Thakur
Song Name: Radha Krsna Prana Mora
Official Name: Sakhi Vrnde Vijanpti Song
Author: Narottama Das Thakura
Book Name: Prarthana
rādhā-krsna prana mora jugala-kiśora
jīvane marane gati āro nāhi mora
kālindīra kūle keli-kadambera vana
ratana-bedīra upara bosābo du’jana
śyāma-gaurī-ańge dibo (cūwā) candanera gandha
cāmara dhulābo kabe heri mukha-candra
gāthiyā mālatīr mālā dibo dohāra gale
adhare tuliyā dibo karpūra-tāmbūle
lalitā viśākhā-ādi jata sakhī-brnda
ājñāya koribo sebā caranāravinda
śrī-krsna-caitanya-prabhur dāser anudāsa
sevā abhilāsa kore narottama-dāsa
1) The divine couple, Sri Sri Radha and Krsna, is my life and soul. In life or death I have no other refuge but Them.
2) In a forest of small kadamba trees on the bank of the Yamuna, I will seat the divine couple on a throne made of brilliant jewels.
3) I will anoint Their dark and fair forms with sandalwood paste scented with cuya, and I will fan Them with a camara whisk. Oh, when will I behold Their moonlike faces?
4) After stringing together garlands of malati flowers I will place them around Their necks, and I will offer tambula scented with camphor to Their lotus mouths.
5) With the permission of all the sakhis, headed by Lalita and Visakha, I will serve the lotus feet of Radha and Krsna.
6) Narottama dasa, the servant of the servant of Sri Krsna Caitanya Prabhu, longs for this service to the divine couple.